Spicy Collagen Salsa Verde
Chips and salsa is one of my go-to snacks when I’m hanging around the house. I love the salty chips and the bright flavors of the salsa combined. Unfortunately, a lot of salsas that can be purchased at the grocery store are loaded with preservatives and artificial flavors that really don’t need to be there. The solution, as always, is to make salsa at home instead.
My favorite salsa to make is salsa verde, a bright, spicy, green salsa made with tomatillos and chilies. This recipe is packed with flavor from the charred tomatillos to the garlic and cilantro. Seriously, this might be my favorite thing to eat, period. You can eat this salsa verde with chips but you can also put it on tacos, use it to make enchiladas, or get creative and put it on a burger.
As a snack, this salsa does double-duty because we added Traditional Tonic Nourishing Collagen, a collagen supplement that can do wonders for your body from your skin to your joints. Getting your daily collagen boost by eating salsa feels like such a fun indulgence and is definitely going to be part of my regular self-care routine.
Makes: about 4 cups
3/4 lb. fresh tomatillos (remove husk)
1 poblano chili
2 jalapeno chilies
2 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp. onion
3-4 Tbsp. cilantro
5 Tbsp. water
1/4 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
4 scoops Traditional Tonic Nourishing Collagen
- Turn your broiler on high and line a baking sheet with foil
- Arrange tomatillos and chilies on baking sheet and broil until the outer layer is slightly charred, turning to char both sides
- Wrap in foil for 10 minutes and then peel and seed your poblano (you can seed your jalapeño if you are worried about spice levels but you don’t have to)
- Place charred tomatillos, poblano, and jalapeño into a blender with sugar, salt, garlic, and Traditional Tonic and blend until they are starting to break down but still chunky
- Add water, cilantro, and onion to the blender and blend until the mixture is only slightly chunky; you want it to be like a puree, not completely liquefied.